| Project objectives:
The overall objective of this project is to support the implementation process for the WFD by providing guidelines and decision support tools for the management
of priority pollutants. To fulfil this overall objective the following activities are planned:
- To conduct a material flow analysis for selected priority pollutants.
- To evaluate available and emerging measures and management options for PPs.
- To develop a decision support tool for identification and selection of relevant measures on European, national and regional level.
- To evaluate different potential measures by applying the decision support tools in case studies.
- To facilitate the development of collective action plans (i.e. river basin management plans) involving all stakeholders (industries, authorities,
- To disseminate results to stake-holders and to strongly interact with industrial organisations, research networks, authorities and NGOs.
A Stakeholder Advisory Group (SAG) will be formed with representatives from industries, authorities and NGOs. The SAG will be consulted during all steps
in the process of collecting information, developing the decision support tool and the suggested set of management measures. The cooperation with the industrial
sector, the different authorities and other stakeholders (public, NGOs) will ensure the accuracy and relevance of basic data collection, as well as the applicability,
acceptance and relevance of the results from this project.
SOCOPSE is looking mostly at hazardous priority pollutants to provide
guidelines and decision support tools for their management at river basin
scale. Their activities include material flow analysis, a series of detailed
substances reports, identification of measures and management options
and application to 4 case studies. A strong interaction with industry
research networks, authorities and NGOs is envisaged.