| Project objectives:
With the beginning of the year 2005 a new platform was established with the ambition to boost technology
demonstration in the field of soil and groundwater management. EURODEMO is an initiative funded
by the European Union’s Research Directorate, including a large European consortium which covers
the whole spectrum of relevant stakeholders. Top priorities of the project are to make demonstration
of promising soil and groundwater technologies easier, to harmonise performance evaluation of
demonstrated technologies and to generate an overview of existing funding opportunities and already
demonstrated technologies. Furthermore, EURODEMO shall make sure that investors obtain a better
overview of the innovation potential in Europe and shall pave the way for trans-national co-operation
and joint funding of technology demonstration.
EURODEMO aims to be the principal co-ordination activity concerning technology demonstration
in the field of soil and groundwater management in the European Union. The project aims to achieve
more efficiency with regard to funding targeted to technology demonstration, to improve the access
to results from demonstration projects and to establish harmonised protocols for the documentation
of demonstration results and the verification/promotion of demonstrated technology. Key activities
include the co-ordination of scattered co-existing European funding programmes to improve allocation
of resources in this field and the establishment of harmonised protocols for the documentation
of demonstration results and for the verification of technology efficiency and performance.
The overall objective of EURODEMO is to co-ordinate European technology demonstration in the
field of soil and groundwater management in terms of co-operation, exchange of experience, and
development of common protocols. Specific objectives are:
- To create synergies among already existing funding programmes for technology demonstration.
- To establish common quality criteria for the management of demonstration projects, in particular
with regard to performance evaluation of demonstrated technologies.
- To produce the best overview concerning technology demonstration in the field of soil and groundwater
management at the programme and the project level.
- To establish a central clearing point for demonstration of soil and groundwater management
PROVIDE THE BEST OVERVIEW ON SOIL/WATER TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION. EURODEMO is producing the
best overview concerning technology demonstration in the field of soil and groundwater management
at the programme and the project level.
- Production of a Catalogue on Funding Opportunities (web based, public access)
- Production of harmonised protocols for proposing and verifying technology efficiency and
- Initiation of a web based data base on demonstration projects.
INCREASE RELIABILITY AT THE PROJECT LEVEL. EURODEMO is developing harmonised protocols to increase
the confidence in demonstration investments and the reliability of technology implementation.
Harmonised protocols are being produced for different steps of technology demonstration
- for proposed technology efficiency and performance at the project planning level, and
- for the verification of technology efficiency and performance at the end of a demonstration
PROVIDING AN OVERVIEW OF FUNDING PROGRAMMES IN THE EU. Throughout the European Union a large number
of funding programmes exist with no specific reference to soil and groundwater technology. They
have different aims, terms of reference, interests and outcomes. EURODEMO is producing a Catalogue
on Funding Opportunities for technology demonstration in the field of soil and groundwater management
with clear reference to “who funds what under which conditions”. (available via website end Dec.
INVOLVEMENT OF FUNDING ORGANISATIONS. EURODEMO, is involving key funding organisations for
technology demonstration from the beginning of the project. Key focus is on
- improving reliability for investments,
- initiating co-operations between funding organisations, and
- improving the dialogue between funding organisations, end users, and technology developers.
IMPACT BEYOND PROJECT DURATION. At the end of the project EURODEMO will develop a business plan
and propose how EURODEMO activities can outlast the project’s duration.
INTEGRATION OF END USER CONCERNS. The concerns of four end user groups namely (i) service providers,
(ii) problem holders, (iii) administrators, and (iv) funding organisations will receive special
attention. A specific co-ordination group “End User Dialogue” will play a central role in the course
of the project. This co-ordination group will co-ordinate feed-back and concerns of end users for
all EURODEMO activities.
- Production of a European catalogue of funding opportunities for soil and groundwater management
technologies (public access via the internet and regular update).
- Establishment of common criteria for the verification of technology performance.
- Production of a European database for demonstration projects.
- Definition of a prioritisation plan for technology demonstration in the field of soil and groundwater
- Generation of a business plan for the maintenance of the EURODEMO secretariat and EURODEMO activities.
- Funding targeted to demonstration will be more efficiently spent.
- More technology demonstration is expected with fewer resources due to synergies and co-operation
among Member States.
- Due to increased technology demonstration more technologies are expected to enter the market;
the competitiveness of the European market in the field of soil and groundwater remediation technology
is expected to increase.