The European Commission has presented an 80 billion package of proposals for research and innovation funding, as part of the drive to create sustainable growth
and new jobs in Europe. Horizon 2020 will run from 2014 to 2020. The proposals will be negotiated by the European Parliament and the European Council over the
next two years with a view to adoption of legislative acts by end 2013. Alongside this, Parliament and Council negotiations will determine the EU budget for
2014-20, including the overall budget for Horizon 2020. The structure of research funding is changing in these proposals.
Objective 1) supporting an 'Excellent science' in Europe ( 24.6 billion) includes:
* 13.2 billion for the highly successful European Research Council (ERC), which provides substantial grants to top-level individual researchers working
* 3.1 billion for future and emerging technologies (FET) to open up new fields of research and innovation.
* 5.75 billion for the Marie Curie Actions.
* 2.4 billion will also be available for supporting access to, and networking of priority research infrastructures (including e-infrastructures) across
Objective 2) 'Industrial leadership', (17.9 billion) will include major investments in key industrial technologies such as Information and Communication
Technologies (ICT), nanotechnologies, biotechnology and space (total of 13.7 billion). It will facilitate access to risk finance (dedicated budget of
3.5 billion) and EU-wide support for innovation in SMEs with high growth potential (0.6 billion).
Objective 3), 'Societal challenges' (31.7 billion) appears to be like the FP7 cooperation programme:
* Health, demographic change and well-being (8 billion);
* Food security, sustainable agriculture, marine and maritime research and the bio-based economy (4.1 billion);
* Secure, clean and efficient energy (5.7 billion);
* Smart, green and integrated transport (6.8 billion);
* Climate action, resource efficiency and raw materials (3.1 billion);
* Inclusive, innovative and secure societies (3.8 billion).
Horizon 2020 web site link is at: http://ec.europa.eu/research/horizon2020 ...