FOOTPRINT Creating tools for pesticide risk assessment and management in Europe
| Country: United Kingdom
| Start Date:
Project Type: RTD
| Contract Number:
| Organisation Type:
Contaminated land-->Risk assessment-->Tools and procedures
Diffuse pollution-->Contaminants-->Persistent Organic Pollutants
| Project objectives:
The overall objective of the FOOTPRINT project is to develop a set of 3 computer tools that will allow users to: i) identify the dominant pathways and sources
of pesticide contamination in the agricultural landscape.
ii) estimate levels of pesticide concentrations in surface water and groundwater.
iii) make scientifically-based assessments of how the implementation of risk reduction strategies is likely to reduce pesticide contamination of water
The operational goals of the project are therefore: i) to develop a suite of 3 pesticide risk assessment and management tools, for use by three different user
communities: - farmers and extension advisors at the local (farm) scale,
- water managers at the catchment scale,
- and policy makers/registration authorities at the national/EU scale.
ii) to evaluate the usability and performance of the FOOT tools through piloting and evaluation studies at their various scales of application.
FOOTPRINT is a research project funded by the European Commission as part of its 6th sixth Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development
The projet aims at developing computer tools to evaluate -and reduce- the risk of pesticides impacting on water resources in the EU (surface water and groundwater).
The project started in January 2006 and benefits from DG Research support for 3.5 years,
| Achieved Objectives:
The tools which are being developed are designed to operate at different scales and are optimised for use by different end-user communities :
- FOOT-NES : this tool allows risk assessments to be undertaken at the large scale (EU and member states scale). FOOT-NES is designed to meet the needs of EU
and national policy- and decision-makers, of Environment Ministries and Agencies. The tool is also likely to be of interest to pesticide registration authorities.
- FOOT-CRS : the tool is designed for scales ranging from small catchments to regional levels and for use by 'water managers', may they be local authorities,
environment agencies, water companies or stewardship managers.
- FOOT-FS : this tool is being developed for use at the local (farm scale) by agricultural advisers and farmers.
| Product Descriptions:
| Additional Information:
| Project Resources:
| Funding Programme(s):
EC Framework Programme 6
| Link to Organisations:
Professor Paul Bardos
Who does what?