| Project objectives:
- ensuring better chance for Risk Based environmental management,
-developing new, site specific Risk Assessment and Risk Reduction methods,
-increasing trust towards innovation in environmental risk assessment and risk reduction
-verification and validation of the innovative methods,
-collecting all Hungarian and selected Europen innovative methods and technologies
-making information available by electronic database,
-establishing a user friendly Decision Support Tool,
-supporting the market entry of innovative methods/technologies
The project is funded by the Hungarian National R&D Program (NKFP).
Scientific coordinator is the Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME)
R&D activities are managed by the Scientific Board consisting of 6 leading professionals: Dr. Katalin Gruiz (BME), Dr. Attila Murányi (RISSAC), János Fehér
(VITUKI Consult), Dr. Éva Fenyvesi (Cyclolab), Irma Zöldi (Vituki Kht)
Administrative coordination is provided by Aqua Concorde Water Analysis and Water Technology Ltd., Hungary
The consortium includes the following Hungarian participants:
Aqua Concorde Water Analysis and Water Technology Ltd (SME)
BME: Budapest University of Technology and Economics
RISSAC: Research Institute for Soil Science and Agricultural Chemistry of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
VITUKI CONSULT ZRT. (SME)
CYCLOLAB: CycloLab Cyclodextrin R&D Laboratory Ltd (SME)
DIGIKOM: DigiKom Ltd (SME)
Association of Environmental Enterprises (NGO)
VITUKI CONSULT ZRT. (SME)
TNO Built Environment and Geosciences, The Netherlands
r3 Environmental Technology Limited, U.K.
The MOKKA project encompasses the full range of innovation and through the incorporated decision support tool endeavours to bridge the „DEATH VALLEY”
between innovation and market application.
The following tasks will be carried out:
1. To establish innovative, risk based environmental management and Decision Support Tools (DST)
2. To develop bio/eco-engineering based innovative risk assessment and remediation methods
3. To collect existing information on modern RIisk Assessment, Risk Reduction and Risk Based DSTs in Hungary and Europe
4. To co-operate with the relevant European projects, like EUGRIS, EURODEMO, TESTNET,
5. To integrate all information into a single user friendly electronic database
links to the relevant European databases
· links to the relevant Hungarian databases
· search-machine· 2D and 3D technology models
· decision making algorithms
1. RA: Risk Assessment methods:
· whole soil and sediment ecotoxicity tests
· other innovative bioassays and microcosms
· refinement of transport modeling by partition, biodegradation, food chain
· integrated monitoring
· early warning systems using biological indicators
· new possibilities and use of physico-chemical analytical methods, e.g. in situ measurements
2. RR: Risk Reduction methods:
· soil and sediment remediation, especially
NA and MNA
in situ physico-chemical and thermal technologies,
complex and integrated technology-application,
cost benefit assessement.
3. Methodology of long term risk management
4. Methodology and criteria setting for control, evaluation, validation and verification of the new (and existing) RA/RR methods.
-Study on risk based environmental management and decision making
-Study and research plan on new techniques in risk assessment. International and national overview.
-Design and development of new Risk Assessment and remediation methodologies.
-Protocol of 5 new ecotoxicity tests: interactive toxicity tests for whole soil and sediment
-Study on and protocol of an early warning system applied to point sources,
-Development of in situ soil measuring equipment: applicability/feasibility
-Methods on measuring mobility of pollutants. physical, chemical, biological and combined methods to detect bioavailability and partition between the
-Study Guide on Application of QSAR and its integration into the risk management toolbox
-Study and inventory on Risk Reduction methodologies
-Verification protocol for soil remediation technologies
-Know-hows or patent of a remediation technology
-Plan of the structure and operation of the database
-Decision Support Tools (DST) for Environmental management of contaminated sites and for technology selection.